Here I bring to you a festive treat – plant based sausage roll which can create the centrepiece of your Christmas meal! This tastes absolutely divine and moorish!
Not completely fat free as the pre made puff pastry contains oil… but this is the festive season.. you’re allowed to let go a little! 😉
This will take about an hour to make from start to finish and is well worth it the effort!
This following is for 4-6 people as part of a festive meal.
- 2 carrots (roughly chopped)
- 1 large red onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 200g chestnut mushrooms (chopped) – can use any mushroom
- 150g roasted chestnuts
- 1 tin of white beans such as haricot or butter beans (rinsed and drained)
- 2 teaspoons of dry sage
- 1 teaspoon of dry thyme
- Some dry parley to garnish your sausage roll (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast (optional) – this adds a slightly cheesy flavour
- Pink Himalayan salt to taste (around 2 teaspoons recommended)
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- 100g of dry almonds (roughly blitz in a chopper – you do not want this to be too fine)
- 3 slices of wholemeal bread turned into breadcrumbs
- 2 rolls of pre-made puff pastry
For the filling:
- Add the carrot, onion, garlic and mushrooms to a pot with 50 ml of water. Cook on a high heat until the mixture becomes fully cooked and dry.
- Add in the chestnuts and white beans. Mix well.
- Add in the balsamic vinegar, herbs (sage and thyme) and nutritional yeast (optional). Mix well and dry off any moisture. Turn off the heat.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Add the mixture into a food processor and blend until it resembles stuffing (i.e. not too smooth – retain some texture).
- Add the almonds and breadcrumbs to the cooled mixture (spend time on this to make sure everything is fully mixed and combined).
- Check the final mixture for salt – add more salt if required… remember this is the filling of a sausage roll, so it must be seasoned well.
Construct the sausage roll:
- Layout the pre rolled pastry and add the filling to one side. Note: you can chop your pastry into small pieces to make individual sausage rolls if preferred (the shape and size is down to your imagination!).
- Wet the outer edges of the pastry.
- Fold over the pastry to fully cover the filling.
- Seal the edges using a fork.
- Create diagonal slits on top of the sausage roll using a blunt knife.
- Dust with dry parsley (optional).
- Bake at 200 degreed celsius for around 20-30 mins, or until the pastry is golden.
- Let rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve as the centrepiece of your festive meal!